CHOMP! Views

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chicago: Day 3 - The Bongo Room

The last day in Chicago we met up with another friend of mine for breakfast. She suggested The Bongo Room because she's heard it was good and also it was close to where we were staying. I've also heard that they have the best pancakes. I looked at their website and I have to say the pictures look phenomenal.

The Bongo Room - Wicker Park
1470 N. Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
(773) 489-0690
http://www.thebongoroom.com/
Price: $$

I think they change their menu every season since we were given the Fall 2011 Menu. I also saw lots of pictures of dishes online that is no longer on the menu. So you can always get something new there!

They don't take reservations and on the weekends it gets super packed! Luckily we went on a Monday morning so it was pretty empty. The menu looked really good but I knew I wanted to try their pancakes.

My friend got the Breakfast Burrito (cilantro-jalapeno tortilla filled with guacamole and scrambled eggs topped with melted cheese and sour cream, salsa on the side; served with house potatoes) $8.95~
It was a nice hefty portion. I didn't try the burrito, but the flavor of the potatoes were pretty good.

My bf got the Tomatillo Salsa Scramble (three egg whites scrambled with grilled chicken, spinach and topped with diced avocado; served with tomato slices and choice of toast) $9.95~
This was also a big portion. Everything was fresh, there were lots of spinach in teh scramble, which I liked. It's definitely healthier than what we've been eating all weekend! haha. There were tons of diced avocado on top and the flavors were good. I liked the tomatillo salsa mixed in with everything. The one thing my bf said was that he preferred if they diced up the tomatoes and put it on top instead of the slices on the side.

I had 2 choices for pancakes and the waitress totally recommended the Pumpkin Spice & Chocolate Chunk Cheesecake Flapjacks (graham cracker crusted pumpkin flapjacks with chocolate chunks topped with warm vanilla bean cream) $9.95~
Good...cuz i was leaning towards that. hehe. It sounded so decadent. And it was!! 3 huge pancakes covered with the vanilla bean cream. It was utterly fabulous. One of the best pancakes I've had I think. Plenty of pumpkin flavor, I could taste the chocolate chips and the vanilla cream was divine. Surprisingly it wasn't too heavy or sweet. The texture was fluffy. Delicious! I would've liked a little more chocolate chunks but that might actually push it over the edge. I really wanted to eat the entire plate, but the portion was so large it's probably a good idea that I didn't. haha. I am still thinking about these pancakes from time to time. It would say it's one of the best things I had on this trip! :)

It took a while for the food to come out so I would say if you want a quick breakfast before work, this is probably not the best choice. But if you have the time to relax and enjoy some great food, especially pancakes, you need to go to The Bongo Room. I soo wish there is one in Dallas...

Quality of Food:

Service:

Ambiance:

Value:

Overall Experience:



~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment