CHOMP! Views

Monday, October 3, 2011

24 Diner

Few weeks ago, me and some friends drove down to Corpus Christi. Along the way we stopped in Austin for some dinner and I suggested 24 Diner. I've only been there once before, but I remembered it was really good. :)

24 Diner
600 N. Lamar Blvd.
Austin, TX, 78703
(512) 472-5400
http://24diner.com/
Price: $$

It's located on the corner of 6th and Lamar. And they are open 24/7 (except Wednesdays from 1-6AM). It's not your typical diner. They use local produce, seasonal ingredients, fresh, and organic when possible. So they have healthy and tasty options as well as your normal comfort food like burgers and chicken and waffles.

I liked this place because it was cool and casual and the food was really good. It's like an upscale diner pretty much. Better than diner food, but slightly more expensive too.

We sat outside because the weather was beautiful. :)

One of my friends ordered the Corn Fritters (cornmeal, creamed corn, buttermilk, jalapeno remoulade) $7.95~
These were yummy. I loved the crunch outside with the soft inside. It was like a hushpuppy mixed with cornbread. The jalapeno remoulade also complimented it well. I had to resist eating more than one of these...

He also got the Meatloaf Sandwich (mustard, ketchup, red onion, pickles) $8.95~ With side of House-Cut Fries.
It was ok... I loved the fries and the way they toasted the bread. But I didn't care for the meatloaf. I thought there should be more meat and less veggies. hehe. The meat patty could've been heartier.

I got the Stuffed Swiss Chard (swiss chard, veggie rice, arugula, wheat berries, cucumber, lemon vinaigrette, yogurt) $11.95~
I figured we would be doing a lot of grilling and bbq meats in Corpus so I went vegetarian with my choice this time. I really liked it. The veggie rice inside the swiss chard was mixed with carrots, but I didn't care. The whole thing had great flavor and I enjoyed the texture. It was a pretty big plate too and I was stuffed!! I didn't miss meat in that dish. I had asked for the yogurt on the side and that was a good move. I didn't really like it. It was thick, more like Greek yogurt consistency. The waitress said if you opt out the yogurt, it becomes a vegan dish, just FYI.

My bf ordered the Bacon Gorgonzola Burger (Challah bun, applewood-smoked bacon, Gorgonzola, caramelized onion, aioli) $13.95~ With side of Bacon-Braised Green Beans.
It sounded amazing and looked pretty good too. The burger was pretty good. Lots of flavor and very juicy. The cheese slightly overwhelmed the burger though, and it was a little salty. The beans were ok. I like crunchier green beans, but these were braised so I expected the soft texture. It could've had more bacon flavor.

Another friend ordered the Patty Melt (Sourdough toast, Gruyere, caramelized onion) $11.95~ With side of House-Cut Fries.
It was sooo juicy! I really liked how they grilled the bread too. It was buttery and had a nice crisp on the outside. Only complaint is that it needed something fresh inside, like lettuce/tomato/or onions or something.

Overall I enjoyed almost everything I tried. The portions were huge and we were stuffed!! 24 Diner is definitely one of my go-to places when I'm in Austin now. I always want to try new and local places, but at least I know I can depend on 24 Diner if I run out of options! :)

Quality of Food:

Service:

Ambiance:

Value:

Overall Experience:



~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment