CHOMP! Views

Thursday, June 30, 2011

LA Trip June2011 - Umami Burger

After hearing many great things about Umami in LA, I knew I had to try it. We went the first night after we arrived in Los Angeles.

UMAMI (URBAN)
1520 Cahuenga Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
(323) 469-3100
http://umamiburger.com/

Price: $$

We went to this location because it opened a little later than some of the other locations. Plus it has a full bar. I think each Umami location offers slightly different menu items and the decor is also unique to one another.

It looked like a pretty trendy place. And at 10pm, it was still pretty packed. We got lucky and got a table right away.

We weren't even that hungry since we had a meal on the plane, but since we're here...might as well try some different things right?? :P

We got the special: Truffle Fries $6~
It's not on the menu, I saw it on a board outside the restaurant. It wasn't what I expected with the melted truffle cheese. I've had truffle fries elsewhere before and it was different. But this was good! The fries were nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The cheese on top wasn't too overwhelming and I could taste the truffle. I think the truffle flavor could've been a little stronger but it's ok. I also liked their ketchup...it seemed sweeter. Different than your normal Heinz or something. Yum!

My bf got the Umami Burger (Signature burger with Shiitake mushroom, parmesan crisp, roated tomato and ketchup) $10~ The burgers look neat and clean. Which I like. We would've liked some greens in the burger though. However, it was still pretty good. The meat was juicy and flavorful. The roasted tomato added some extra flavor than just a regular fresh sliced tomato. The parmesan crisp was the best part. It added that cheesy flavor and also the crunch that the burger needed. My bf said he's going to steal that next time he grills at home. hehe.

The Greenbird (shelton farms turkey, crushed avocado, green cheese, butter lettuce, sprouts, green goddess sauce) $11~ There was really lots of green on it! I really enjoyed it. The buns on the burgers were one of the best parts since they held the burger together really well. One thing I really hate is when the buns get soggy... The Greenbird was really fresh with all the veggies in it. It had the creaminess from the avocado and green goddess sauce. The sprouts and lettuce added freshness. The turkey patty itself might've been a tad dry on its own, but in a whole bite it was great!

The burgers weren't overly greasy or anything either which is good. I'm not a fan of those super greasy, fatty, oil dripping down your elbow type burgers. I know some people prefer that...which is cool. But I don't care for it. Umami was good for me... clean, fresh, quality ingredients. It didn't make me feel too heavy after.

And I've seen pictures of their desserts online so I already knew what I wanted to get!
Grasshopper Ice Cream Sandwich by "Milk" (Mint chocolate chip ice cream, macaron, chocolate dipped) $4.50~ The presentation was so cool. So simple and modern. I've never had an ice cream sandwich with macarons before. I think it's genius! The cookie had a crispy shell and chewy on the inside and added contrast to the creamy ice cream. The quality of the ice cream was really good too, as was the dark chocolate coating on the sandwich. My bf loves mint chocolate chip and he loved this. He says he prefers the macaron over regular cookies for the sandwich. (Milk also has it's own storefront in West Hollywood. If we had more time, I would've liked to check it out. I guess I'll have to wait until next time!)

It was a great start to our trip. Our waitress was super nice as well! It was a little pricey for burgers, but at least the quality was up there. I will definitely go back to Umami next time I'm in LA to try some other burgers!

Quality of Food:

Service:

Cleanliness:

Value:

Overall Experience:


~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment