Last weekend was the first annual Cupcake Camp in Dallas. What an awesome event! It featured local bakers both professional and amateur and benefitted the LEAP Foundation. http://cupcakecampdallas.com/ Admission was $10 for adults and you were given 5 tickets to exchange for cupcakes. For 1 ticket you can get an amateur cupcake or a mini professional cupcake. And for 2 tickets you can get a professional cupcake. That's a super good deal! Normally cupcakes run anywhere from $3-5, here you can potentially try 5 cupcakes for $10!! Also, you can purchase additional tickets for $2 a piece. They also had a cupcake contest going on. I didn't stay long enough to see the results of that though.
This was a dessert lover's dream!! I was like a kid in a candy store. haha. I would say there were roughly 12-15 amateur bakers and 10-12 professional bakers. Professional bakers seemed to be anyone that had a business or store-front in the Dallas area. Most of them I had heard of, but some I had never seen before. I was quite surprised that Sprinkles or Dimples were not there. Didn't matter, I don't particularly like their cupcakes anyways. haha.
I first made a round taking as many pictures of the various cupcakes as I can. My plan was to go back later and pick the ones I wanted to try. I was super impressed by the variety and creativity there. There were a ton of different flavors, combinations, styles, etc. Some of the amateur cupcakes looked really great...you couldn't even tell them apart from the professional ones.
There were several cupcakes in the contest that I really wanted to try...like these Dr. Pepper ones. But I didn't see any tables giving those away. :(
These are the tables and flavors of cupcakes my friends and I got:
BE PREPARED TO DROOL....
- Key Lime Pie Cupcake
- Cinnamon Roll Cupcake
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake with Texas Honey Frosting, Spiced Pecans & Bacon Confetti
- Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Coulis Filling & Chocolate Goat Cheese Frosting
- Carrot Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Jessicakes by Jessica Hendricks:
- Texas Pecan Surprise (Golden butter cake and a light chocolate pecan mixture topped with cream cheese frosting, a pecan & drizzled in chocolate)
- Chocolate with Marshmallow Creme Filling
- Chocolate Cadbury Surprise (topped with Marshmallow Peep)
- Easter Sno-Ball (chocolate cake with marshmallow cream filling)
Kim Wickware & Cheryl Dumas:
- Very Cherry
- Honey Lavender
- Banana Chocolate Chip with Cinnamon Honey Buttercream
- Lemon Cupcake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Margarita (virgin) cupcake
- Pina Colada (virgin) cupcake
Others (didn't see bakers' names):
- Chocolate Cupcake with Nutella Frosting & Chocolate covered Strawberry
- Molten Chocolate Cupcake with Chocolate Shavings
The Perfect Slice:
- Texas 'Rita (Jalapeno lime cupcake)
- Mini Peanut Butter Cupcake
Nothing Bundt Cake:
So out of the flavors I got to try the following (the first 4 were my personal picks with my tickets...I went for the flavors that were unique and weird. hehe.):
- Honey Lavender ^
This was the prettiest cake in the whole event, in my opinion. It was just cute perfection! The flavor was also very interesting. Very floral from the lavender and just a hint of honey. It was very light and fragrant.
- Cinnamon Swirl Cake with Texas Honey Frosting, Spiced Pecans & Bacon Confetti ^
The bacon was the thing drawing me to this one. Even though it was just small sprinkling on top of the cake, you really taste it because you have to chew the bacon bits. The cake was super moist and the frosting was just enough. It was a great combination.
- Texas 'Rita (Jalapeno lime cupcake) ^
This was the only one where I used 2 tickets for 1 cupcake. And this was my FAVORITE of the entire day. There were candied jalapeno pieces throughout the actual cake and candied jalapeno on top of the frosting. The jalapenos were actually spicy too! It was fantastic! The cake was borderline savory...kind of shortbread-y? But the frosting was sweet along with the candied jalapenos...it hit every flavor profile!
- Molten Chocolate Cupcake with Chocolate Shavings ^
I had to get a chocolate one. haha. This was pretty typical as chocolate cupcakes go. It was just bigger than most of the other cupcakes! hehe. There WAS a little molten part towards the bottom of the cupcake, but not enough. It was definitely moist though.
- Margarita (virgin) Cupcake ^ (top left)
This wasn't very good. It was really pretty but tasted really artificial. I'm guessing it's probably from food coloring to do the blue frosting. And I didn't get a sense of margarita at all...
- Texas Pecan Surprise (Golden butter cake and a light chocolate pecan mixture topped with cream cheese frosting, a pecan & drizzled in chocolate) ^ (top left)
This was interesting. I liked the bit of chocolate swirled in the batter. It was definitely a nice surprise.
- Banana Chocolate Chip with Cinnamon Honey Buttercream (bottom right)
This was quite good. Lots of banana flavor and I liked the chocolate chips inside the cake.
- Key Lime Pie Cupcake (bottom left)
Very lime-y but not too tart. Didn't remind me of a key lime pie though.
- Chocolate with Marshmallow Creme Filling ^ (top)
A nice addition to normal chocolate cupcake with white icing. This was my bf's favorite out of all the chocolate ones.
- Chocolate Cadbury Surprise (topped with Marshmallow Peep) (right)
There was a whole cadbury egg inside the cake! It was pretty cool looking after I cut through it. Such a simple idea! But this was the first time I had seen it done! Tasty as well!
- Chocolate Cupcake with Nutella Frosting & Chocolate covered Strawberry (left)
I love nutella! I didn't get much of the nutella flavor on this though. It was just like a normal chocolate cupcake.
OMG. Big time Sugar Coma!!! And this was all before 2PM!! haha. Keep in mind I didn't eat the entire cupcake. I had 1 bite from every one of these though....so I guess it still adds up. haha. Overall, great event! I hope they do it again next year and I'll definitely workout even harder before I go next time. :P I was super impressed with the variety and looks of many of the bakers. So I'm scratching my head as to why I never found a good cupcake in Dallas before this!!!
Next year they need a bigger venue! :)
~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~