CHOMP! Views

Friday, January 27, 2012

LA!! Chego

For dinner the first night, I wanted to go check out Chego. It's owned by the same people that run the Kogi food trucks. Which are my favorite food trucks so far!! The menu at Chego sounded sooo interesting and delicious!

Chego
3300 Overland Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 287-0337
http://eatchego.com/
Price: $

This is a tiny place and it was packed when we arrived!! The line was out the door!! There are only like 3 long community tables inside and a few small tables outside the restaurant. You order at the counter and find your own space to sit.

We weren't super hungry so we were ok with the wait. The line moved fairly fast. A lot of people ended up taking things to go and the people dining were pretty fast about moving things along.

We got a few things to share.
3PM Meatballs (Korean-fried, shaved green onions, sesame, blueberry habanero salsa, polenta patty) $4~
I've had their blueberry habanero salsa before on the quesadillas at the Kogi truck. It was pretty amazing. So this sounded interesting as well. You get 3 meatballs on top of polenta. It was slightly sweet and tart and had huge flavors. The meatballs were really juicy. I didn't care for the polenta being completely soaked in the sauce though.

One Chubby Pork Belly (kochujang-lacquered kurobuta, with fried egg, pickled watermelon radishes, water spinach, cilantro, cotija, peanuts, over rice) $8~
Who can say no to pork belly!?! This dish looked amazing and tasted even better!! OMG! I can eat this everyday! I loved all the different flavors and textures. Lots of veggies, tart from the pickled radishes, a hint of spice from the kochujang, the crunch from the peanuts. YUM! And the pork belly was fatty and tasty. I loved loved loved it! No complaints whatsoever!

Tiny's Prime Rib Rice Plate (chili-rubbed, with fried egg, water spinach, creamed horseradish, roasted garlic serrano paste, fried shallots, over rice) $9~
This was also really good. The prime rib was cooked perfectly and had so much flavor. I liked how they put a lot of veggies in their dishes. Tons of bold flavors as well. The only thing I didn't like was the horseradish. I'm not a huge fan and I think they put too much. But one of my friends loved horseradish so he liked the sauce a lot.

Tres Leches Cake (devil's food cake soaked in cayenne-cinnamon-infused leches, tapioca milk pudding, spiced peanut brittle) $4~
Even their desserts sounded interesting. I like anything spicy...even desserts. And I love the whole sweet and savory combination. This wasn't really a tres leches in my opinion but it was delicious. The best part was the milk pudding part of the cake. It was almost like a really soft bread pudding/mousse. The brittle added a nice crunch on top of the super moist cake.

Sriracha Candy Bar (chocolate crisped rice bottom, caramel, Sriracha ganache, spiced candied peanuts, dark chocolate) $4~
This was the dessert I wanted to try last time at the truck but they didn't have it. When we unwrapped the foil, we were like "that's it?" haha. It was $4 and didn't look appealing at all... But...it was pretty tasty! It was basically like a crunch candy bar. I liked the candied peanuts layered inside.
I couldn't taste the sriracha though. I ended up squirting some actual srirach and dipping the candy bar in there. And it was REALLY good! The sriracha basically added the salt and heat to contrast the sweet chocolate.

I think this was one of my favorite meals of the entire trip. This is one of those places that makes me wish I lived in LA. I'm STILL dreaming about that pork belly bowl. Droooool.....

Quality of Food:

Service:

Ambiance:

Value:

Overall Experience:



~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment