CHOMP! Views

Thursday, April 26, 2012

NYC Apr12: Doughnut Plant

I've seen the Doughnut Plant featured on the Travel Channel so many times now. And every time, it doesn't look any less delicious than the first time I watched it. haha. It was definitely high up on my list of places to visit in NYC. Plus I have friends that also highly recommend it.

Doughnut Plant - In Chelsea
220 W 23rd St.
New York, NY 10011
(212) 675-9100
http://www.doughnutplant.com/
Price: $

I think they have 2 locations in the city? We went to the on in Chelsea which I believe is the newer one. It's not a very big place but it was cute. Decorations of colorful circles and giant donut pillows line the walls, and a giant 4 screen display for the menu items.

These are gourmet donuts. Made with natural ingredients. No trans fats, no preservatives, no artificial flavorings, no eggs. The glazes are made with seasonal fresh fruits and fresh roasted nuts and the jelly fillings are all made in-house.

There's only 2 of us and the donuts are pretty massive but I had to try more than just one!! :P

Peanut Butter and Blackberry Jelly $3.25~


I knew for sure I wanted to try this ever since I saw them make it on TV. I LOVE peanut butter and always thought it was cool that for a filled donut, it still had a hole in the middle and the jelly is piped throughout the donut. Unlike regular filled donuts with just a glop in the middle. This way you get a bit of jelly in every bite. It totally did not disappoint. The texture of the donut was fantastic. Just dense enough but still fluffy. It was full of peanut butter flavor and had a nice change of texture with the chopped nuts on top. I could've liked a bit more jelly but I liked that it wasn't too sweet overall. My favorite of the bunch.

Strawberry (yeast donut) $3~
This was one of their seasonal flavors so I decided to get it. It was good. Same awesome consistency as the PB donut. But not as special. I asked the guys at the counter for recommendations and this is what they suggested... They seemed to be keen on the cake donuts (which normally isn't my favorite.)

Wild Blueberry (cake donut) $2.75~

I love blueberry! In yogurt, ice cream, cakes, breads...it's all good! And the color of this donut was beautiful! A deep rich purple on the outside and blue on the inside and you can see the pieces of actual blueberries. Super moist. It was like eating blueberry pound cake in donut form. A definite winner. It's a close second to the PB!

Toasted Sesame (cake donut) $2.75~
This was good in the sense that you can really taste the toasted nuttiness of the sesame. But overall it was a bit dry. Not the best in the bunch.

They had sooo many other flavors I wanted to try, but I don't think my stomach could handle it. :( Tres Leches, Vanilla Bean, Creme Brulee?? YUMMY!

**Just a side note: The cake donuts were just as good the day after, but the yeast ones got a little harder/drier. So I suggest finishing the yeast ones the same day you buy them!!

I'm so glad we were able to make it there. They are truly delicious. (But...for a truly decadent gourmet donut, Gordoughs in Austin still wins for me. Go check them out if you are ever in Austin, TX.) I would definitely recommend stopping here if you are in NYC. And don't feel bad for ordering some extras so you can try more flavors! hehe :P

Quality of Food:

Service:

Ambiance:

Value:

Overall Experience:


~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment