CHOMP! Views

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sprinkles Cupcakes...all hype??

**Update 12-30-10**

I went back last month again because they now have a gluten free and a vegan Red Velvet cupcake. I was interested to see how it compares to their regular ones. I only tried the vegan and it's sooooo much more moist!! I totally believe it's because they are not using butter (which I still think no cupcake places should ever use butter...). It was lighter and not as overwhelmingly sweet. The frosting was also lighter (not as stiff as the original frosting). I liked it wayy better than the original. Next time I'll have to go back and try the gluten free one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The cupcake battle continues…Hey Cupcake in Austin is still the reigning champion so far…next contender…Sprinkles!

4020 Villanova Drive
Dallas, TX 75225
(214) 369-0004
http://www.sprinkles.com/

Price: $

I finally got a chance to check out Sprinkles Cupcakes on NW Hwy and Preston.
I’ve been trying to go even though I’ve heard it’s expensive because everyone raves about it. I had a feeling that it was going to be just a big hype like Magnolia Bakery up in NYC, but I had to check it out for myself…and hopefully prove myself wrong.

It’s a small little place, very nicely decorated: clean, cute and modern. It was also packed with people…constantly coming in, in waves… The cupcakes were neatly displayed in the glass display case. Each one consistent with the other, very cute and pretty and all looked delicious! This was the opposite of Society Bakery which had a homey/made-from-scratch feel.

We waited awhile before we could place our order. Each cupcake is $3.25. We got the Red Velvet (southern style light chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting); of course…Red Velvet is my favorite!

And also the Vanilla Hazelnut Chocolate (Madagascar bourbon vanilla cake with creamy hazelnut chocolate frosting), which is their latest limited edition flavor only from September 18-27.
We cut each one up into 3’s so we can all sample. They were ok… Quite disappointing to say the least. I guess I already knew this was going to happen but I was still bummed out. The Red Velvet cake was not bad, it was moist and the flavor was good…but the cream cheese frosting was a little too sweet. It totally dominated the cupcake. The vanilla cake was dry. :( I hate dry cupcakes! But I do have to say that we all loved the hazelnut frosting. The texture was great and it wasn’t overly sweet. Now if only the cake was moist, then it would’ve been a great cupcake. I will give Sprinkles an A+ on presentation though. They were very pretty!

So hands down, Hey Cupcake is still my #1!!! All the way! They really need to open one in Dallas…Austin is way too far. As far as getting a good cupcake in Dallas…I would rather go to Society than Sprinkles. Society's is bigger and slightly cheaper, also feels more homemade. I was very impressed by the traffic they got in Sprinkles, but I’m a bit shocked and confused by how many people are willing to wait in line and pay a good chunk of change for mediocre/small cupcakes… Sigh~~

The search for the best cupcakes in Dallas continues…

Quality of Food:

Service:

Cleanliness:

Value:

Overall Experience:


~~CHOMP CHOMP~~

No comments:

Post a Comment