CHOMP! Views

Monday, May 14, 2012

The Commissary

I went with some friends to see Green Day's American Idiot at the Winspear in downtown. I took this opportunity to go check out The Commissary in One Arts Plaza. I've been wanting to go there for some time and it's just been too far to venture out.

The Commissary
1722 Routh Street
Dallas, TX 75201
(214) 643-6557
http://thecommissarydallas.com/
Price: $$

We were seated immediately and waited for the rest of our party to show up. Dallas traffic on a Friday night is horrible!!

Our waitress came by to take our drink orders and bring us water. She was nice. Chatted with us a bit and we told her we were going to the show. When the rest of my friends showed up we were ready to order. The service was a bit slow, cuz we had to wait a while for the waitress to come back to take our order. But the restaurant was pretty packed and we weren't super rushed to eat.

There were several burgers I wanted to try. My first choice, The Head to Toe Burger, ran out. Boooo... :( So I opted for The Magic Burger (aged cheddar, applewood smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion, toasted english muffin; served with side of skinny fries) $9~

This sounded interesting mainly because of the english muffin. It looked good and tasted great. The beef patty was cooked well and really juicy. The burger also had good flavor. I liked the english muffin, it wasn't too much bread and held up well to the ingredients. The skinny fries were cooked well too.

One friend got the The Upstream Sandwich (blackened salmon filet, bacon, lettuce, tomato, wasabi mayo on a brioche bun) $15~ Substitute fries for side salad +$2~
We decided to share our orders so I got a couple bites of this. The salmon was a decent size and I loved the crispy sear on the outside. It was a little hard to eat though since the fish would fall apart or slide out from the bread. The flavors were good. I enjoyed it.

The BIG TEX Burger (ancho chili rubbed, salsa cruda, avocado relish, pickled jalapenos, chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomato on a sesame bun; served with side of sweet potato tots) $9~
I didn't try this but my friend seemed to like it. The avocado relish and pickled jalapeno sounded like it would go really well on the burger. I did try the sweet tots. It was nice and crispy on the outside which I liked but the inside was a bit mushy on the inside. 

The Tandoori Burger (tandoori spice rubbed ground lamb, cucumber, arugula, tomato and tzatziki in a toasted pita; served with side of sweet potato tots) $16~
I wouldn't call this a burger since it was served in a pita. And I'm not a fan of lamb so I didn't try it. My friend loved it!

We also got the Avocado Fries $6~
It was highly recommended online. It was a bit expensive for what we got but it was good. Different... The avocado inside was really soft from the frying and it paired well with the crispy tempura shell.

Overall, I really liked everything I tried. The burgers were all cooked well and tasty. It was a bit expensive though...

Quality of Food:

Service:

Ambiance:

Value:

Overall Experience:


~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment