CHOMP! Views

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sweet Mix

***********
EDIT --

I just found out that Sweet Mix has only been open for a little over 2 weeks so I wanted to correct this on my post. I'm quite impressed with the ordering process and thought the wait time was fine given they've only been open for a short while. Also, they are still doing a soft-opening. Their Grand Opening is projected to be around mid-September so mark it on your calendars! :)

***********

Sweet Mix
1811 N Greenville Ave., Ste 300
Richardson, TX 75081
(972) 231-6117
http://www.thesweetmix.com/
Price: $

I recently found out about this place. It's only been open for a few months I believe. But they've got some snacks I've only seen in Asia...and now it's in Richardson!!

The place is really cute. Bright, colorful designs on the walls with a touch of elegance with the chandelier. I thought it worked really well. You order and pick up at the counter. The guy at the register was really friendly and helped to explain certain things on the menu.

Initially I was only going to try their waffle sandwiches. When I was in Korea earlier this year, I noticed that waffle sandwiches and desserts were uber popular. (See Korea Trip) Just about every cafe had them. There were also street vendors that sold them. I was very excited to see it being done in Dallas.

We got the Romeo + Juliet Waffle Sandwich (strawberries, bananas, nutella, maple syrup, fresh whipped cream) Half order $4.75? I got it without the maple syrup because I didn't want it to be too sweet. They make the waffle on the spot so it comes out warm and perfumes the entire store. The fruits were all fresh and sliced to order. The lady ended up making a full one and just gave it to us. Cool! It looked really tasty and nice. However, it needs some tweaking. The waffle was too soft...it needed to be way more crispy on the outside. Also, the batter for the waffle could be a little sweeter. I guess without the maple syrup it wasn't sweet enough! haha. But I think with the syrup, the waffle would've soaked it up and been even more soft. I suggest sweetening up the batter and put a bit more nutella in there. And maybe cook the waffle a little longer so the outside can crisp up. Then it would be fantastic. I did like the freshness of it all and it was easy to hold like a sandwich and eat. That made it really convenient.

Now, before I went I looked up some pictures and reviews on the place and I noticed they had "snow ice" just like Taiwan!! (See Taiwan Post) OMG!! This is definitely the first of it's kind in Dallas that I know of. How exciting!! It's basically a big block of flavored ice/milk and shaved into thin strips/slices. It's suppose to taste similar to ice cream, just lighter. At least that's how it was in Taiwan.

Of course we had to get one to try!!
Strawberry Flavored Snow (choice of 3 fruits: blueberries, kiwi, strawberries; drizzled with condensed milk) Regular $7~ Compared to Taiwan this is definitely pricey... It was really colorful and pretty though. They topped the snow with condensed milk and fruits. The snow itself wasn't sweet or creamy enough. You get a hint of strawberry flavor but that's it. The condensed milk is really what made it sweeter. In Taiwan it was milkier and shaved finer. So I wonder if they need to tweak their recipe to make the snow ice block. The regular bowl is quite big so it's definitely shareable.

So I'm still pretty excited about this place and I think it has a lot of potential. Hopefully they just tweak some of their recipes and it will be even better! The guys that work there are really friendly and checked on us after we finished. Oh! And they also have crepes that totally looked yummy. It's a cool place to chill so I'm sure I'll be back in the near future to try more things. :)

Quality of Food:

Service:

Cleanliness:

Value:

Overall Experience:


~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment