CHOMP! Views

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Sushi Bar

I went to The Sushi Bar this past weekend with a group of friends. I've been there several times in the past when they were located in the Clarion Hotel at 635 and Coit. They've recently moved to Preston and Campbell area. Good...cuz they are now closer to my home. Bad...cuz they are no longer across the street from my work! haha.

The Sushi Bar
17479 Preston Road
Dallas, TX 75252
(972) 248-3608
http://www.thesushibardallas.com/

Price: $$

I know the owner since we have some mutual friends...super nice guy. He'll definitely make sure you are taken care of! :)

They are currently waiting on their liquor license (I believe) so it is BYOB at the moment. We didn't know this ahead of time so we didn't take advantage of it. Oh wellz~

I also bought a Living Social coupon for The Sushi Bar awhile back so I get to use it!! Woot. I get to spend $40 on sushi!! HECK YEA!

I ordered a bunch of stuff and shared with a couple friends while other people ordered their own.

We got...
Oasis (Sashimi & Salad: Tuna, Salmon, Yellowtail, and Snapper?) $13.95~ I wanted a salad and my friends wanted some sashimi, so this totally worked out. It was a pretty large plate. The salad was really fresh and crisp. The sashimi was fresh as well. It was a much lighter dish than all our other orders so it helped balance things out.

Volcano Roll (California Roll topped with Scallops and baked) $14.95~ Typically I see Volcano Rolls made with thick creamy mayonnaise or something baked on top of the California Rolls so I don't tend to order it. I find it just a little too heavy. I was pleasantly surprised with their Volcano Roll. First of all, the scallops on top were nice and plump and cooked perfectly! Soooo tender! And the white sauce/cream on top was actually kind of like egg whites or something. I'm not really sure what they used but it was light and fluffy! A really nice change to the mayonnaisey stuff. It was delicious!! I would totally order this again. It was definitely one of my favorite dishes of the night!

Together Roll (2-3 different types of fish in the roll and topped with tempura flakes and different sauces) $11.95~ This was really good. They didn't skimp on any of the fish inside the rolls. The crispy flakes were awesome on top. They never got soggy or anything. I enjoyed the textural contrast between the soft fish and the crispy flakes. YUM!

Ahi Tower (Layers of rice, avocado, crab meat and spicy tuna with fish eggs and different sauces) $14.95~ I always like getting the Ahi Tower because it's interactive. Either they mix it up for you or I actually chose to do it myself. It's fun!! The components to the tower were really fresh and the colors on the plate were just so vibrant. It's a really aesthetically pleasing dish to look at. Until you mix it up that is.. hahaha. The spicy tuna had a nice kick and mixed with the creamy avocado and the slight popping from the fish eggs...it's very complex! Also I was surprised that one of the sauces on the plate is chocolate sauce!! I would've never thought to put that with sushi! But once you mix it all up it just all works together. Interesting!!

One friend ordered a Ebi Ebi Roll (Shrimp Tempura Rolls topped with Shrimp and Avocado) $11.50~ It was nicely presented the long plate. It looked really good. He ate it all!

Another friend, who doesn't eat seafood, got the Beef Katsu (lightly breaded beef cutlet served with tangy Japanese BBQ sauce with salad and steamed rice) $14.95?~ He's never had a beef katsu before...most place only offer pork or chicken. It was like Japanese style chicken fried steak. The meat was tender and the outside was nice and crispy. I think he enjoyed it! :)

I was sooo full after. It's awesome to just feast on sushi!! Everything was fresh and tasty and the presentation were all very nice as well. The sushi chef even came out to greet us and made sure everything tasted good! That was pretty cool.

Towards the end of the meal, the owner surprised us with 2 dessert on the house! Awww. THANKS!! :D

We got 2 Fried Tempura Ice Cream (red bean and green tea). They were massive!!! I've had fried ice cream before but never presented in this fashion. It was definitely pretty to look at! The ice cream were still very much frozen inside the tempura shell which is great. I really loved the addition of the fried wontons. It added an element of color as well as that sharp crunch to contrast the creamy ice cream. The tempura batter was also more cakey than the batter on like tempura shrimp and stuff. Which is good since this is a dessert. I would recommend getting the fried ice cream. Not only is it cool looking, it's really tasty as well!

Needless to say, it was a great dinner. I got to gorge on fabulous sushi, eat free dessert, and had a great time with all my friends. The service was very friendly and we didn't feel rushed at all. It was a nice, leisurely dinner. So definitely go check out The Sushi Bar, you won't be disappointed!! :)

Quality of Food:

Service:

Cleanliness:

Value (without coupon):

Overall Experience:


~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment