CHOMP! Views

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Roy's! Aloha~

Roy's
2840 Dallas Parkway
Plano, TX 75093
(972) 473-6263
http://www.roysrestaurant.com/locations/TX/plano.asp
Price: $$$

Recently I got a $20 gift card in the mail from Roy’s (a Hawaiian Fusion restaurant in Plano, on Tollway and Parker). What a pleasant surprise! :) I’ve only been to Roy’s once before, and I’ve always wanted to go back. It’s out of my normal eating price range (around $20-35 a plate), so this was a great opportunity to go again.

I went with 2 of my friends on a Friday night. Business was doing well that night, almost every table was filled. I was warmly greeted by the hostess as I told them we had a reservation. We were seated very quickly. The wait staff was very friendly and full of smiles. (I’ve always heard that Roy’s has great service and is very accommodating to its customers.)

While we were looking over our menus, they served us a complimentary bowl of edamame. They put a couple more spices over the edamame instead of just the regular salt. It was pretty good…had a slight spiciness to it.


After we ordered, they also served us these dumplings (compliments of the chef) that were decorated beautifully.

I loved the colors on this dish…the burst of green, orange, and red really brightened up the dish since the dumpling is pretty colorless. The sauce added a slight sweet and spicy to complement the dumpling. It was very good!

So me and a friend ordered from the Prix Fixe Menu ($35 for an appetizer, entrée, and dessert) to share. My other friend ordered from the PF Menu for himself.

We started off with our appetizers. We got the Szechwan Sirloin Satays: with Kimchee & Edamame Fried Rice (normally $9.50 ordered on its own). The presentation was not bad, the fried rice kind of fell apart, but again…the splash of color on the plate really brightens it up. The beef was very flavorful and cooked nicely. The rice was a little overcooked/too soft, but I liked the flavor. Although... the rice could’ve used a bit more kimchee flavor and I don’t remember seeing any edamame in it...

My friend got the Seafood Chowder: with Shrimp, Scallops & Fin Fish. The chowder was missing some acidity. The flavor was pretty good but it just felt like it was missing a certain something. It had big chunks of shrimp and scallops in it though, so that was nice.

Our entrée was the “Hawaii Kai” Style Beef Short Ribs: Served with a Natural Braising Sauce (and Sour Cream Chive mashed potatoes). The meat was very tender; you could cut it with a fork. It was a little dry though…just very slightly. But if you dip it in the sauce, it was very good. The mashed potatoes were one of my favorites. It was creamy and silky and complimented the meat very well.

The other entrée Tender Braised Pork Pot Roast: Served with Pork Jus & Creamed Corn Sauce (and Sour Cream Chive mashed potatoes and string beans). It was also fork tender but slightly dry. But again, paired with the creamed corn sauce, the dryness was no longer there. The pork was quite a bit larger than the beef…we should’ve ordered the pork to share. Haha.

Finally the desserts!! We both ordered the Roy’s Melting Hot Chocolate Souffle: Flourless Chocolate Cake with a Molten Hot Center served a la Mode (meaning with a scoop of ice cream). :D I’ve been dreaming of having their chocolate soufflé cake ever since I had it the first time many years ago. It was just as good as I remembered it. A slightly crispy outer shell, full of gooey yummy-ness on the inside!!!! The cake was super moist, with plenty of molten chocolate in the middle. The vanilla ice cream is always a great complement to a chocolate cake. The raspberry sauce added a nice splash of color on the plate but wasn’t necessary. The tartness from the sauce added another flavor to the dessert, but if it wasn’t there, I wouldn’t have missed it. Haha. The cake was definitely my favorite part. I could’ve just had 3 of the cakes and skipped the main course! :P

With that $20 off, it was a GREAT deal for good food. I would totally go back again and definitely recommend it to everyone. It’s a great place for a special occasion! Don’t forget to get the Chocolate Souffle cake…that’s a MUST! Another recommendation is the Butterfish. I had it the first time I was there. It sounds just like the name…very buttery and soft. It was sooo tender and soft that it literally melts in your mouth!

Quality of Food:

Service:

Cleanliness:

Value (with the gift card):

Overall Experience:



~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment