CHOMP! Views

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

NYC 2013: Dessert Club, ChikaLicious

I took a break from eating and went to go check out Grand Central Station. But that didn't last long. hahaha.I met up with another friend later in the afternoon for an epic dessert time. Dessert is my vice.. haven't you noticed? hehehe.

Dessert Club, ChikaLicious
204 E. 10th Street (b/t 1st & 2nd Ave.)
New York, NY 10003
(212) 475-0929
dessertclubnyc.com
Price: $

I was waiting for my friend and I could smell the awesome desserts from down the street. Droooooling!! I took a glance at their menu while waiting for her. OMG! So many things I wanna try! The place is pretty tiny. It can probably only seat 10-12 people. It was a little cramped but also cute. And we lucked out because a big group left just as we were ready to order. Holla!

So, they've got their version of the Cronut called the "Dough'Ssant". Since I wasn't able to try the original, might as well have one here!
Creme Brulee Dough'Ssant (filled withTahitian vanilla pastry cream). 
 
 
Sounds freaking amazing doesn't it? And it was! It was structured differently than the Cronut. It was in layers that wrapped around.. kinda like a cinnamon roll. The top was bruleed and had a crispy sugar layer. That was a nice touch. The vanilla bean cream was smooth and luscious and filled every layer. I didn't find it too sweet either. The dough was soft and pillowy. I freaking loved it. PLUS we didn't have to wait in line for hours for it! But if the original is anything close to this or better? I totally see the hype.

"7 Minute Egg" in "7 Minute Biscuit" (soft boiled egg in a butter biscuit). 
 
Saw this on the menu and found it intriguing. We both loved eggs and runny yolks so decided to give it a try. For some reason I had expected this to be sweet (we ARE in a dessert shop after all). haha. But it was savory. The biscuit was light and buttery. I think it had rosemary in it. The egg was perfectly soft boiled as we cut into it. It was nice little break from sweets since our next item is also a dessert.

Lastly, we got the Green Tea Yuzu Lava Cake (with Yuzu sorbet). 
 
You don't see yuzu very often in the states. I love it. It's a Japanese citrus, kind of a mix between an orange and lemon. It's super fragrant and refreshing. This was also delicious. We cut into the green tea cake and saw the yuzu filling ooze out. It wasn't too sweet and the citrus from the yuzu help lighten the cake. The yuzu sorbet was the perfect accompaniment... super refreshing. It was a good one to round out our visit.

I don't remember the prices for our desserts but all 3 plus a hot tea, came out to be $19. Pretty typical prices you'd find in a dessert shop like this, I'd say...

I noticed while we were there that the chef (and/or owner?) was Japanese. That explains the use of matcha/green tea and yuzu. The Japanese makes some exquisite desserts and I was definitely impressed by this place. I totally recommend this place and would visit again next time I'm in NYC. I can't say for certain, but I think I'm going to like their Dough'Ssant better than the Cronut.... O.O *Gasp* hahaha.

Go check it out! Trying everything. So far everything we had was awesome. :)

Quality of Food:




Service:




Ambiance:




Value:




Overall Experience:




~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment