CHOMP! Views

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Perla's Kitchen - Rockwall

My co-worker that lives in Rockwall has been raving about Perla's Kitchen and it's cakes for awhile now. She is a baker herself and says their red velvet cake is the best she's ever had. Now that just totally peaks my interest! 

Perla's Kitchen 
2455 Ridge Road, Suite 149 
Rockwall, TX 75087 
972-722-6162 
http://www.perlaskitchen.net/ 
Price: $-$$ 

Now... Rockwall is pretty far from me (about an hour drive. yikes!) So I had some free time over the weekend and decided to pay my co-worker a visit. It's located in a small strip mall, very unassuming. The place isn't very big and not much decor inside. Walking in, I immediately see the display case full of cakes! Excited!! haha. 

I got the Soup and Salad Combo (chicken and mushroom soup, Caesar salad) $7.99~ 
I had a cold so I thought some soup would be good. Plus I wanted something lighter so I can save room for dessert! But it was a huge plate. haha. The soup of the day was chicken/cream of mushroom. It was topped with big croutons and some cheese. Not a light soup. haha. It was yummy though. I love creamy soups and it warmed me up. Large slices of mushrooms and chicken in that little cup. I wish there was more soup than salad actually. I had asked for the Caesar salad to be lightly dressed. But it came drenched. :( I managed to eat some of it but I don't like too much dressing. 

My friend got the Ahi Tuna Steak Sandwich (Italian loaf with aioli, tomatoes, red onions, baby greens, white balsamic vinaigrette; side green salad) $9.99~ It looked really good and I was told it was delicious. 

We were actually quite full after the meal so we had a few bites of the cake and got the rest to go. 
Lemon Cake with Strawberry Filling $4.29~ 
This was also a recommendation by another friend that lives in Rockwall. I had expected their slices to be bigger... I wonder if we hadn't gotten it to-go if it would've. :-/ But, it was really moist and I really liked the lemon flavor of the cake with the strawberry in the middle. The icing was a bit dense and quite sugary. Luckily the cake was pretty light so was able to balance it. It was pretty tasty. 

Red Velvet Cake $4.29~ 
Of course we had to get this. Super moist like she said. I was surprised to see it more pink than red like in most other restaurants, but I guess that's good because they might've used less food coloring? The cream cheese frosting was dense and really rich...good but soooo bad for you. hahaha. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't the best red velvet I've ever had. 

It was a good lunch. I'm glad I got to try it. Was it worth the hour drive just for the cakes? I can't say it is. But if I'm craving desserts in the Rockwall area, I'd probably go back and try some of their other stuff. The blueberry cream cake and bread pudding sounds yummy! 

Quality of Food:




Service:




Ambiance:




Value:




Overall Experience:




~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment