CHOMP! Views

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

2015 NYC Food Tour: Day 1

We went to NYC during Memorial Day weekend. It was my fiance's first time there. His sister lives in Brooklyn and I've actually gone to visit her (2 years ago) before he has! :P 

We were there from Thurs-Sun. When I booked the trip, I didn't realize it was Memorial Day weekend! Otherwise I would've stayed longer. Although, after all the eating we did, it's probably a good thing that we didn't stay longer. haha. XD 

I'm going to post about our 3 full days there separately, so I can give you an idea of what my vacations are like... or "foodcation" as some call it. :P Then I will individually go into detail about the different restaurants later. So... get ready for the  

CHOMP! Food Tour: NYC Edition! 

THURSDAY: Day 1. 

We were on our own since everyone was working. We checked into our Airbnb apartment and went off to a breakfast/early lunch. 

Okonomi 
150 Ainslie St. 
Brooklyn, NY 11211  
www.okonomibk.com 

This place just so happened to be a 15 min walk from our apartment. Woot! During the day they serve a Set Breakfast/Lunch $15~ There is no menu, and very limited options. It's a very traditional Japanese style meal with smaller portions, very clean and light eating. 

We were served Hot Tea to start. 

For our entrees we got to choose from their Fish of the Day: Tuna Belly, Blue Fish Collar, and Blue Fish something else... And each dish comes with sides of Bok Choy with Tofu Sauce, Baked Egg, Pickled Vegetables, Miso Soup, and Brown Rice. Then... you can add the Uni with Poached Egg +$6~ 

I got the Tuna Belly
 

We both got the uni with poached egg. You make a well in the rice, pour the mixture in, and mix it all together. Deeeelicious! 
 
 

He got the Blue Fish Collar. A pretty decent size. Also yummy. 

-------------- 
We met up with a friend sometime in between, and had some matcha lattes from Cafe Jax on the UES (upper east side). I forgot to take a picture! 

-------------- 
Then we had a late lunch with more friends at Shake Shack!!!! One of my favorite spots. He's never been, and was skeptical of my hype. But he loved it just as much as me! :P 

Shake Shack 
154 E 86th St. 
New York, NY 10028 


Shack Burger (cheeseburger topped with lettuce, tomato and Shack Sauce) Single $5.19~ My fiance got this. Loved it! Just a simple, yet amazing, burger. 

'Shroom Burger (crisp-fried portobello mushroom filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheeses, topped with lettuce, tomato and Shack sauce) $6.99~ This is vegetarian. My personal favorite. YUMMERS~ 

Crinkle Cut Fries $2.95~ Their fries are so good! 

Black & White Concrete (vanilla and chocolate ice cream with brownie bites and cookie dough) $3.50~ I ended up eating most of this because he didn't care for the chocolate side. 

-------------- 
So... going to NYC, I already had a huge list of places to eat. But everyone we talk to had their own recommendations. So my friends insisted we check out this place. 

Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
65 Bayard St.
New York, NY 10013
(212) 608-4170

www.chinatownicecreamfactory.com

I hadn't even heard of it. Seriously... one of the best ice creams of our lives. 

Almond Cookie & Pandan (2 scoops) $6.99~ Where else can you get these flavors?! And the combo of these 2 was magical. 

Black Sesame (1 scoop) $4.35~ 

--------------- 
Went back to Okonomi for a late dinner. It becomes Yuji Ramen at night. And they only do ramen during dinner, M-F only. 

Okonomi/Yuji Ramen 
150 Ainslie St. 
Brooklyn, NY 11211 
www.okonomibk.com


Sashimi Plate (blackfin tuna, boston mackerel, porgy) $24~ Porgy is a small red snapper. It came with 2 condiments: Kosho...kind of a spicy yuzu relish, and fish roe sauce. Super fresh. Kosho is awesome! I've never had it before. 

Bacon and Egg Mazemen (brothless ramen with meat hook bacon, onsen egg, kale, bonito flakes) $15~ Add cheese +$1~ 

Kaisen Hiyashi Chuka Mazemen (brothless; chilled noodle, squid, boston mackerel, porgy, clam lip, sweet vinegar soy, sesame) $18~ 

Ankimo Miso Ramen (creamy monkfish liver broth, torched whelk, arugula) $17~ 
3 of us shared everything. It was more than enough since we ate all day. Their ramen and mazemen is not to be missed! 

I highly recommend EVERYTHING we had today. If you click on each restaurant name, you can see the full review!!! :) 

 ~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment