CHOMP! Views

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Birthday - Part I @ Fuse!

**Update 12.28.10**
Fuse is now closed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My birthday weekend was a blast!! I got to see so many of my awesome friends and try new restaurants with lots of yummy food! We started off on Friday night at Fuse for dinner. www.fusedallas.com I’ve been wanting to check out Fuse for a really long time so it was a great opportunity to go for my birthday. I’ve heard about their pool side lounge area so that sounded like something cool to check out after dinner and maybe get some drinks.
With no further ado, on to the food! There’s LOTS of it!! :D


For starters, we ordered the Spicy Fuse Popcorn (clarified butter, arbol chiles, parmesan). $4~ We’ve read reviews online that rave about this so we had to try it. It was definitely interesting. Big bursts of flavor with the parmesan, sometimes was a little overwhelming and salty. I liked it…but at the end of the day…it’s still just popcorn… It was definitely not as ‘AWESOME’ as some of the reviews have said, but if you love popcorn…this might be your thing.

A friend of mine also ordered the appetizer Braised Brisket Potstickers (Anaheim chiles and citrus dipping sauce). $8~ First of all, for $8 to get 5 potstickers, I expect it to deliver. I enjoyed the crispiness on the outside, sometimes certain places don’t make them crispy enough. However, the filling inside was really dry. :/ You would think that ‘braised’ brisket would mean that is so tender that it melts in your mouth… I have a feeling that by having the outershell so crispy, they’ve over cooked the filling. I would skip this and try another appetizer there.

Time for the entrees!!! There were so many choices that I wanted to try. Luckily, there were plenty of friends there to order different things so I could try them all! MUAHAHA~ :P

I ordered the Nori Roasted Chicken (plantain-bacon hash, curry creamed summer spinach). $15~

I saw plantains and spinach and I was sold! But…my excitement was short lived. The chicken was quite tender and had good flavor, but the plantains were slightly undercooked and dry. Despite the plantains, I still enjoyed the dish. The chicken was cooked nicely and the sauce and spinach complemented it very well.

Next is the Wasabi Crispy Chicken (wasabi pea crust, buttery mashers, jalapeno gravy). $14~
This was my other choice as my entrĂ©e. I liked this dish a lot. It was an interesting twist on the southern classic of chicken fried chicken and potatoes. It had nice burst of pepper in every bite. I love pepper! Can’t get enough of it! And you can never go wrong with fried chicken and mashed potatoes. The jalapeno peppers on top of the chicken added some serious heat! YUMM! I ended up swapping my dish to eat more of this one. Hehe.

My absolute favorite dish of the night was the Tenderloin of Beef (potato puree, Japanese eggplant, and chipotle butter). $27~
The beef was perfectly cooked…sooooo tender and juicy. The potato was silky smooth and paired wonderfully with the beef. This wasn’t my dish so I didn’t get to try all the elements, but I’m not a fan of eggplant so it was ok that I skipped over that.

I got to have one bite of the Miso Lobster (parmesan risotto, texas sweet corn, white miso broth). $32~ I’m not a fan of lobster…I know, I know…I’m weird like that… I love lobster sashimi, but cooked lobster doesn’t do much for me. The lobster was cooked nicely and had a good texture to it, but I thought it was a little bland. I didn’t get to try it with the risotto, so maybe that would’ve added some extra flavor.

This is the Laksa Salmon (shrimp broth, cilantro, laksa leaves, vermicelli noodles). $16~ The salmon was nicely cooked and the dish had lots of great colors. My friend finished it all, so I’m assuming it was pretty good, but he said that it wasn’t enough food and was still hungry afterwards.

My friend got the Hibachi Chicken Pad Thai (snow peas, cashews, cilantro). $12~
She was very very disappointed with the dish. She said the noodles were really dry and just overall not good. She said to rate this dish half a cookie just because she was hungry and forced it down…otherwise she said it deserves zero cookies.

I didn’t get to try any of the sushi, but to me they were not up to standards. The quality and look of the rolls were already not up to par. I have pretty high standards when it comes to sushi. I think the way sushi is assembled is almost as important as the freshness and taste. As you can see, most of these rolls look messy and lopsided. And I didn’t have to try it to know it wasn’t that great. My friend rated it 2.5-3 cookies which is below average.
Ahi Tuna Roll, Fuse Roll (snow crab, salmon, asparagus and carrot wrapped in cucumber) $11~, Downtown Roll (tempura yellowtail with cream cheese and roasted jalapenos) $13~, Spider Roll (crispy soft shell crab with cucumber, avocado and ponzu) $12~.

Overall, I think the food at Fuse is hit or miss. There are definitely some great dishes and some that are not good at all. So hopefully I’ve been able to give some insight into what to get if you ever decide to check out Fuse.

Quality of Food:


Service:

Cleanliness:

Value:

Overall Experience:


Oh yea, if you’ve noticed…I did not order dessert this time. That’s because we brought our own cake… Red velvet cake from Kroger for $12.99…totally awesome! Super moist and delicious and enough to feed 12-16 people!! :D




~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment