CHOMP! Views

Monday, May 27, 2019

APRIL: Del Frisco's & CHOMP! 10th Anniversary

Did y'all know that this is the 10th year of my blog, CHOMP!? Woohoo! But apparently the actual anniversary month was Feb... which I totally missed. *face palm* So I'm going to make April my anniversary post! It's my birth month AND this restaurant feature is a great one!!! LET'S CELEBRATE!!

My choice for April was an easy one. The EPIC 5 course media dinner at Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse in uptown. Meant for 7 people but due to weather, only 3 of us showed up! Haha. Lucky us! We had undivided attention, so many fantastic dishes, and the bad weather never even happened!

Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse
2323 Olive St,
Dallas, TX 75201
(972) 490-9000
delfriscos.com/steakhouse/dallas/
Price: $$$$$+
Dress Code: Business Casual

I had never dined at Del Frisco's before so I was SO psyched when I got invited. The location is quite convenient as they have complimentary valet as well as a parking garage where you can get validation. Upon walking in, the space is sophisticated and upscale. There are large windows in the dining area so lots of natural light. We (the 3 of us) were sat at a big round table... originally meant for 7. When we realized no one else was coming, we got to spread out. Yay! And the table was just the right size for all the food they were bringing out. Our awesome waiter, Jerome, warned us not to fill up on the bread. Which was very good btw. But I just had one bite. He told us that they were just going to bring stuff out, so we can sit back and just enjoy ourselves.

There was a cocktail served with every course. Not specifically a pairing though. I told them no cocktails for me. I would DEFINITELY not be able to drive home if they did! :P So I'm not going to comment on the cocktails very much. Other than the fact that they were all very beautiful and the other 2 people loved almost all of them.

FIRST COURSE:
Double Eagle Margarita (Casa Dragones Blanco, Grand Marnier, Lime, Monin Agave) $18.50~

Charred Octopus (gigante beans, tomatoes, olives, capers, lemon, cold pressed olive oil) $19.50~ 
When they served these 3 dishes, I think I actually jumped out of my seat with excitement. First of all... I LOVE octopus and this looked divine! The end of the tentacles were perfectly charred and crispy. The rest was just cooked to perfection! One of the best octopus dishes in Dallas for sure.

Seared Rare Wagyu Beef Carpaccio (baby arugula & shaved fennel salad, capers, parmesan, Creole mustard aioli) $18~ 
Carpaccios are hit or miss for me. This was definitely a hit! The beef quality was amazing and paired so well with all the toppings and flavors. The meat was melt in your mouth tender.

Thick-Cut Nueske's Bacon Au Poivre (bourbon molasses glaze) $16~ 
I actually clapped when I saw this. I was SO HAPPY! This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! That thick pepper crust with the sweet glaze was heaven. One of the top bites of the night for sure. And only $16?!? I'll just go by myself one day and get this as my entree. Ha!

SECOND COURSE:
The Plum Rose (Wheatley, Amaro Montenegro, Lime, Plum Preserves, Sparkling Rose) $15.50~

Heirloom Tomatoes & Burrata (aged balsamic reduction and pesto) $15~ This is gluten free! I love a good burrata. And this was very good. My favorite out of all the salads.

Blue Cheese Lettuce Wedge (iceberg, cherry tomatoes, crisp bacon, Danish blue cheese dressing) $11.50~ I wasn't a huge fan of this... Blue cheese is very iffy for me and I think this one was just too strong. The iceberg lettuce was crisp and fresh though.

Del's Salad (mixed greens, tomatoes, shaved carrots, croutons, crisp bacon) $11~ Pretty standard salad. Loved whatever that green dressing was on top. Green Goddess dressing, perhaps?

THIRD COURSE:
Pomegranate Martini (Tito's Handmade, Pama Pomegranate, Cranberry) $15.50~

Seared Chilean Sea Bass (crab fried rice, black bean garlic sauce) $47~ Absolutely gorgeous piece of fish. Both of the fish actually. This one was just a tad better cuz of the freaking crab fried rice. I mean... just give me a bowl of that on its own!

Bay of Fundy Salmon. Normally this would be served with crab hash and lobster tomato jus. Perfect crust on top and beautifully pink in the center. Just needed a tad more salt on the whole thing.

FOURTH COURSE:
Blood Orange Manhattan (Redemption Rye, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Solerno Blood Orange, Angostura) $15.50~

14 Day Dry-Aged Colorado Prime Lamb 22oz $58~ I don't like lamb. Can't really stand the smell or taste... but it LOOKED impressive! It makes me wish I liked it. That crust looked delicious.

Wagyu Tasting (Japanese A5, Australian, Rosewood (TX) 3oz each) $160~ 
OMG! A wagyu flight? Get outta here! This has been such a dream already. So buttery, every slice. Loved the coarse salt to dip in... totally heightened the flavors of the meat. My palate was already in overdrive so I can't be sure, but I think I liked the Japanese and Australian better than the Rosewood. If I had to choose... they're all great.

Tomahawk (long-bone ribeye) 32oz $110~ 
OH. EM. GEE. I've only had tomahawks a few times in my life. This is the best one ever. THIS IS THE BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE! Hahaha. Wow, this steak is beyond amazing. I think we all agreed that it just might be better than the wagyu flight! So much flavor on that crust, the meat was SO tender, and you can taste the beef itself. It's wonderful. And you know what? Reheated in the microwave the next day and it's still as tender as ever.

Our last course came with several side dishes. They were served to us by several waiters/waitresses while we took a million pics and videos of the steaks. So I didn't get great pictures of the sides.

Chateau Mashed Potatoes $12~ There were chunks of truffle on the potatoes. CHUNKS, not slices. CHUNKS! Wow!

Creamed Spinach (smoked bacon, egg, mushroom, aged sharp cheddar) $12.50~ I am a huge fan of creamed spinach!
Sauteed Wild Mushrooms & Pearl Onions $14.50~ Loved this. You can really taste mushroom flavor. So rustic!

FIFTH COURSE:
Del's Delight (Nocello Walnut Liqueur, Creme de Cacao Chocolate Liqueur & Vanilla Ice Cream) $11~ Basically like a boozy milkshake. Pretty awesome.

Lemon Cake (6 layers, lemon buttercream icing, lemon glaze) $12.50~ Dense and rich and so lemony. We were so full though! So most of the dessert were taken to go.

Butter Cake (butter pecan ice cream, fresh whipped cream, caramel sauce) $11.50~ Wowow! Fantastic crust on the butter cake. Definitely recommend this!

Thank you SO MUCH to Del Frisco's for having us! This has been one of the best dining experiences I've had in a while! Wonderful service, superb food, and I'm glad I got to enjoy it with 2 of my friends. Will definitely be back for that bacon and tomahawk. And FYI... they have HH on M-F 3-6:30PM!

~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment