CHOMP! Views

Monday, September 5, 2011

Big Bowl Shaving Ice

Saturday I went to the Asia World Food Court for some dinner. I also wanted to check out the shaved ice place. A friend of mine told me they also had the snow ice from Taiwan.

Big Bowl Shaving Ice
Central Legacy Plaza Food Court
240 Legacy Dr.
Plano, TX 75023

It's one of the many counters in the Food Court. They sell regular shaved ice, flavored snow ice and many other drinks. Keep in mind most of the places in the food court are cash only! This place included.

They only had 2 snow ice flavors: green tea and milk. We opted for the Matcha Snow Ice with Red Bean (green tea flavor snow ice, red bean, condensed milk, red bean ice cream) $6.75~
The price is pretty similar to Sweet Mix in Richardson and the portion seemed just a tad bit bigger since it has a scoop of ice cream on top. The snow ice had a very light green tea flavor and wasn't that sweet. It was also icier than the ones you get in Taiwan. I'm not sure why they can't get the same creaminess here as in Taiwan. The ice cream, condensed milk and red bean definitely helped it sweeten up and provided that creaminess. I liked the red bean, snow ice and ice cream combo...the textures all worked for me.

I would say at Sweet Mix, it's more Americanized with the fresh fruite toppings and Big Bowl caters more towards Asian flavors with red bean and such. Personally I liked Big Bowl just a teensy bit more...mainly because I liked the green tea/red bean flavor profile plus the snow ice texture was a tad better. But if you wanted a lighter/healthier dessert, I would suggest Sweet Mix. However, neither places were able to capture the true texture of the snow ice in Taiwan.. :(

It's definitely something different though if you've never had snow ice before. I would recommend at least trying it.

Quality of Food:

Service:

Cleanliness:

Value:

Overall Experience:




~~ CHOMP CHOMP ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment